Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Eat baby eat!

Warning: I am a little ticked off. So don't be offended :)
Drew is still stuck in baby jail. He is not eating enough. What is enough? They were wanting him to eat 36ml every 3 hours. Well yesterday he did AWESOME! Eating that plus even a bit more, i got him to eat 40 at 4pm. So we were on the right track!
Well then comes shift change. If you are a nurse, this is where i say don't get offended :) BUT i am so frustrated! So the new nurse today decides that she wants to feed him a little bit, then let him rest and just give him the remainder through the tube. She only got him to eat 18-20 at 4am and 7am. How is it that one nurse can keep him on track the whole day, then the next one can't? I don't think it's coincedence, i've noticed this pattern all along. The nurse today then decides that she doesn't even want to wake him every other feeding, just give him feedings through the tube, letting him rest more. How is he suppose to learn how to eat if you aren't even giving him a chance? I have absolutely no say in the matter. She even told me not to hold him the way i was holding him! Seriously?!?!?
So we are now looking at Friday at the earliest. O and Dr Rose decided to up him to 45ml instead of 36ml. He is off the bili lights as of this morning and i think that'll help a bit. He is losing weight, he is down to 6lb 8oz so i understand he is struggling and needs to get food in him. I just don't like the inconsistency of the nurses. They need 1 plan and stick to it. He also has an iv hanging out of his head 'just in case' they may need it. 1 nurse says that's ridiculous lets get it out, the next says no keep it in it is necessary. Ugh. Good day

The plus side of the day was that we got to actually dress him in clothes and he gets to rest with a blanket because he doesn't need the lights anymore :) See i'm trying to be positive, it's just REALLY hard! :)

1 comments:

BookwormMom said...

I see you've discovered the "day shift/night shift" conundrum. I even have a pretty good guess about who your nurse was today. I'm sorry you're frustrated. I'll try to check in with you when I work tomorrow.